The Exams Office delivers two courses during each academic year which are designed specifically for Senior Leaders/Line Managers. These courses reflect the importance – and responsibilities – of Senior Leaders in the management of examinations in their centre, with a focus upon key areas at particular times during the academic year.
Both courses aim to support senior leaders who have line management for exams/exams officers, or have responsibility for implementing effective exams-related practices in their centre, or for those who must plan for the absence of their exams officer during key exam periods.
Both courses aim to support senior leaders who:
- have line management responsibility for exams/exams officers
- have responsibility for implementing effective exams-related practices in their centre
- must plan for the absence of their exams officer during key exam periods
The experts who developed The Exams Office are responsible for course content and delivery. They have experience as members of SLT, devising and delivering DfE exams policies and initiatives, leading government exams support field teams, and creating good practice exam guides which are followed by more than 4500 schools/colleges. The team also consists of awarding body personnel and ex-JCQ inspectors. They will also be available throughout the day to answer your questions.
All courses contain a range of table-based activities to aid understanding, share good practice and network with colleagues.
All events start at 9.15am (registration from 8.45am) and finish by 4pm
|No. of delegates||Discounted price||Non-discounted price|
- Discounted prices apply to members of The Exams Office and OCR centres
- Prices are exclusive of VAT
The slides for the Exam Changes 2022/2023 training were updated in September 2022 after the original slideset was printed.
A pdf version of the updated slideset is available here.
An updated version of the slides from the 15 March event can be found here.
Questins and Answers/Poll results
Download the Q & As and poll results from the London event which took place on 6 October.
Autumn Training – Exam changes and supporting your exams officer/managing exams in your centre
Course content (illustrative only)
JCQ changes and educational reforms which impact upon exams in your centre
An in-depth look at JCQ/Ofqual and DfE exams-related changes for the new academic year in the following JCQ publications from the perspective of a Senior Leader/Line Manager:
- General Regulations
- Instructions for conducting examinations
- Access Arrangements and Reasonable Adjustments
Planning for the new academic year – Supporting your exams officer in completing key tasks
- The JCQ Centre Admin Portal (CAP)
- JCQ centre inspections
- Ofqual and DfE updates
- Managing malpractice
- Online support from The Exams Office
- The Exam Cycle
- The Exams Officer role
- Building your centre’s annual exams plan
- Briefing candidates and staff
- Exams policies – producing/reviewing/updating policies required for JCQ inspection purposes
- Contingency planning – exam time and non-exam time
Spring Training – Getting ready for the summer exams series and complying with JCQ regulations
Course content will focus upon supporting your exams officer in completing key tasks in the build up to and during the summer exams series. Delegates will also receive support in fulfilling the exams officer role in the event of the absence of their exams officer.
Course content (illustrative only)
- Online tools to help you safeguard the examination process in your centre
- Main regulation changes which impact upon the summer exams series
- Your role in supporting your exams officer in undertaking/completing the following key tasks:
- Late entries/actions following entry submission
The pre-exams period – ensuring effective planning
- Access arrangements – planning for and managing access arrangements during this summer’s exams period
- Preparing candidates, parents and staff
- Rooming, timetabling and seating plans
- Storing confidential materials
- Planning for the unexpected during the exam series
Preparing for each exam day(s)
- The exam room
- The role of invigilators
- Dealing with emergencies
- Dealing with malpractice
- JCQ rules and regulations in the conducting of examinations
Ensuring that your centre passes the JCQ inspection
- Preparing for the full centre inspection
- Exam policies required for JCQ inspection purposes
Administering exam results and understanding ‘Post-Results Services’
- Planning for Results Day(s)
- Supporting your candidates with Reviews of Results